Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dont force it.. Just let it come naturally.

I know it has been a very long time since I have posted anything. I hope that you didn't think I gave up. I spend more of my time writing my ideas down on paper, napkins and receipts then I do on my laptop. So please don't take it personal. Again, I have began taking yet another Creative Writing class. What I had thought was a more in depth look at 'words' themselves, ended up being another writers opinion of how I should release my inner diary. My instructor is a woman from Cape Town, South Africa, named Shani Raviv. She recently publish a book called, Being Ana: A memoir on Anorexia Nervosa.  Before I can be a critic, I need to read it first. I plan on doing that tonight so I may get a better impression of who is teaching me. But also, to see how her style of writing is. I am always very enthralled when I read a book by someone I actually met. It's almost as if I can hear them speaking the words as I read them. Shani recommended us to write enthusiastically this week. She explained about Stream of Consciousness. That everyday we woke up, "before you do anything, spend about 15-30 minutes to take a mental shit onto the paper." Take a mental shit?, I thought. "What I mean by that, is you are writing down everything you are thinking. And by doing this, you are getting rid of the critic in your head.'' Hmm... I can dig it. I do this quite often. I wish I would carry around a recorder with me. Or some duck tape, for sometimes I tend to think before I speak. My thoughts always get me in trouble.

Anyways, today I went to the post office and received a book called Do These Gloves Make My Ass Look Fat? from a very lovely lady I met in Key West a few weeks ago. Oh yes.. I have gone so long without posting anything and a lot has happened. Well, I was in Key West, FL on a ghost tour. I think it was my second day there and I was hammered. I kept wondering off from the tour but somewhere along the way, I met Christina who was also on the tour. English accent, a little taller than me, burnett, very beautiful and an enticing charming soul. I was very intoxicated and didn't get to know her all that well, but before i left The Keys, she asked me for my address. And there I was at the post office earlier, with her book in my hand. I read the first chapter as I was walking to catch the bus and I must say I would recommend it to many friends. It's as charming, witty and humorous as her personality. And like I had said before, as I was reading it, it was as if I could hear her speaking the words.

Well, with that said, I am incredibly inspired to write. I will share more of my thoughts in the next couple of days. I promise.   ;)

Oh.. and let me add, a book that was recommend by instructor I feel is good for those who are stuck and need to break free of writers block or that "critic in your head". Julia Cameron's A Writer's Life. Enjoy!!!


"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."  ~E.L. Doctorow  

No comments: