Monday, June 6, 2011

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.




Last Night, when I was on the plane southbound to San Diego, I felt like the adventure in my life had just began. I met a guy who sat next to me in 8A; great conversation and a peace of mind. Explaining to him my plans for the summer, I felt a little blessed that I was able to accommodate myself with such an experience as I was about to put forth. Then waking up this morning, not only in a different state but a whole different world than mine; I knew this trip was just the beginning. So here I am in my hotel room planning my day. So many options. First, I will venture out to the beach, for when I feel the sand between my toes I know I am somewhere I belong. Then who knows where my day will take me. Just hearing the ocean beckon to me from the shores is enough to make my whole trip worth it.  But then again, I can hear the islands of Hawai'i calling for me to come back.

All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time.” – Paul Fussell

No comments: