Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger? Say whaaaaaaaaaat?!

More like hidden bars in plain sight. What do I speak of, you may ask? Hmmm, something... effortless. This is not a bar you find college students making out in every crevice of the establishment or being loud and obnoxious. Nor is this the bar you will find Euro trash with big hair, too much makeup and dresses so short and tight, your afraid it's going to snap off and hit you in the face. No. You wont find douche bags wearing Ed Hardy here. But what you will find is something a little more... simple. A great place, that you and your friends can go for a drink and feel comfortable. Hidden away in your own neighborhood in the depths of intoxicating sanity. This tranquil place is what you call a speakeasy bar.  *wink*
    The History behind speakeasy bars started in the 1920's and lasted into the early 30's, during that time which it was illegal to sell, buy or transport any alcohol in the USA. Therefore creating a place where people can come, have a good time and keep it on the hush. I suppose that's how the name came about. But what do I know, I wasn't even born yet. The owners of these "speakeasy" establishments mainly got their source of "inventory'' from bootleggers. Mind you, these were times of Prohibition and so there was a lot of organized crime and actual gangsters who ran all this. Very interesting if you ask me, I always felt like i would have been someones Bonnie if I was back in that time. Well, now that you have gotten a brief history of the topic, let's move on. Shall we? I am introducing this into my blog because I believe that they are the new scene. Here are a couple speakeasy themed bars (as it is legal now) that may come of interest to you, if you live in the Northwest area or are visiting:                               

  • Tavern Law, Located on Capitol Hill, 1406 12th Avenue, Seattle WA 98122. Open daily 5pm-2am.  Supposedly, they have a phone that is located at the entrance you have to pick up to gain access into the upstairs speakeasy. This is pretty cool. You've got to admit it. Hands down.  http://www.tavernlaw.com/
  • The Hideout, Located on First Hill, 1005 Boren Avenue, Seattle WA 98104. Business Hours varies. I have not been here yet, but have heard nothing but good things. They serve food and top notch liquor. Can anyone ask for more when your trying to have a good time?  http://www.hideoutseattle.com/
  •  Knee High Stocking Co, Also located on Capitol Hill, 1356 East Olive Way, Seattle, WA 98122. Open everyday, 6pm to close. This place is naughty and nice. Did you not see the name? All I can think is: Sex Appeal. Rawr. Don't leave without having some of their mouth watering food and My Absconded French Girlfriend cocktail. Too die for. Yum. http://www.kneehighstocking.com/
  • Bathtub Gin & Co, Located Downtown, 2205 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98121. Not sure of business hours but this place is amazing. I went here for my sisters birthday and I loved it. Amazing staff. Owner is very laid back and hospitable. It almost reminded me of a pirates den. Or something to that effect....
Well, that is all I have. I am sure if you live somewhere other than the amazing Northwest you can find something similar, but i doubt it. I know your thinking, "Wow, she just blabbed about a speakeasy??? what is she doing?!" Chill out. Not many people even know about this blog. So, hey... Do me a favor....Fuggetaboutit kid and Speak Easy. 


I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~Frank Sinatra


Aubrei R. Albin

No comments: